Whether you want to reimagine your skincare routine completely or simply want to bump up your 2022 routine, this blog will walk you through the small changes that can lead to big results.
“Creating new habits is hard, but it doesn’t have to be painful.” -Judson Brewer, Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind
The science behind behavior change is fascinating, and we learn more daily. Research by psychiatrist, TED Talk speaker, and author Judson Brewer, M.D, PhD., shows people who adopt drastically different “resolutions” that don’t align with their daily habits tend to fail at their goals.
In contrast, people who adopt small changes to their daily routines tend to achieve their goals because of the small tweaks they’ve made. Bigger issues like addiction, anxiety, and complex behavior-cycles are certainly more complex than that, but for the purposes of choosing a new skincare routine, this mindset will suffice!
Ask yourself, “What am I already doing in my routine that could be tweaked in a small way so that I don’t have to think about it??”
The word “habit” is one of the strongest in the English language, neither carrying an innate connotation of positivity nor negativity. (Remember this blog from Halloween about scary skin care habits?)
It is you- the person with the habit- who is the driver of the word’s meaning. At Corrective Skincare of Southern Nevada, we’re deeply invested in the word habit, because we know the power it has to transform someone’s skin appearance.
The Skin As a Plant
Think of your skin as a living plant that thrives from being watered every day (not happy when it is only rained on once a week). Daily care is essential to maintaining a healthy-looking mantle above and below the surface. In fact, daily skin care is responsible for 80% of skin health with professional treatments responsible for 20%.
What Is Your Skin Care Personality?
Creating or tweaking daily habits is the path we recommend to adapting a skincare routine. We don’t want to reinvent the wheel but rather cater it to what will fit with your personal lifestyle and personality. Are you the type that enjoys a 10-step routine, describe yourself as organized and fairly detail-oriented? Or perhaps described as laid-back and go-with-the-flow and more likely to use one or two key products at a time? Either way, there are guidelines that can help steer your skincare routine toward greatness. The starting point: cleanse, tone, moisturize and protect.
The process: Cleanse, Tone, Treat and Protect
Corrective Skincare of Southern Nevada’s tried and true process for a holistic skincare routine focuses on cleansing, treating, and protecting the skin.
Cleanse and Tone
- Your cleansing routine should gently help you remove dirt from the skin without stripping part of the skin’s protective barrier. If a cleanser is too harsh, or overused, it could be doing more damage than good. Corrective Skincare custom selects appropriate cleansers and develops a schedule for each client’s skin, ensuring the skin is well-cleansed while maintaining the look and feel of hydrated, healthy skin.
- Some may think that a toner is flat-out unnecessary or even “full of alcohol.” Instead, think of toners as a pH-balancing treatment meant to prepare the skin for the next step in your skincare routine. Toners are a great way to work in AHA acids to improve texture and treat acne, found in Environ’s Focus Care Youth+ Concentrated Alpha Hydroxy Toner. Environ’s Hydrating Toner contains niacinamide in a witch Hazel base and is proven to combat redness while hydrating the skin. Corrective Skincare has a full range of toners to address all skin types and target specific conditions. Just remember to always use your Environ Toner after cleansing and just before you use your Cosmetic Roller.
Moisturize and Protect
- Retinol doesn’t have to equal redness, peeling, and unsightly skin for three days. Retinyl Palmitate, the powerful and gentle Vitamin A derivative, will deliver the same results over time. Corrective Skincare of Southern Nevada promotes a unique step-up system of Vitamin A and C moisturizers ensuring a gentle, yet effective vitamin-delivery system for any skin type. We recommend starting off with a low level of Vitamin A serum first so that you can gradually introduce Vitamin A back to the skin and likely avoid an irritating reaction. Once the skin is used to that level, you may graduate to the next level. Vitamin A, in combination with other topical vitamins, antioxidants, peptides, and growth factors is important to keep the skin looking healthy throughout its lifespan.
- Using a broad spectrum SPF (sun protection factor) cream every day is absolutely vital to maintaining healthy-looking skin throughout your life. You should never leave the house without this protective step, rain or shine. UVA and UVB rays penetrate through windows, and glasses, and are nearly impossible to avoid. We know sunshine is good when it helps us convert Vitamin D in our bodies, but leaving the skin unprotected is a fast way to look more aged and leaves you more vulnerable to developing melanoma.
One Day at a Time
Look at each day as a new opportunity to care for the skin. This moment is all we truly have. While we can look back and analyze 2022 as a whole, look forward with a magnifying glass, mindful to stay in the present moment and take a look at your tiny behaviors that make up a whole day.
The One Thing author reminds us there is only one thing our brain can do at any given moment, so make your small daily actions meaningful ones.
“The key is over time. Success is built sequentially. It’s one thing at a time.” -Gary Keller; The One Thing: The Surprising Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
Change is Constant
Anticipate changes in your life and plan accordingly for setbacks and things like travel and holidays; Consistency is key since we know change is constant. Real cellular level improvements in the skin take time. It can take 3 months before noticeable changes take place from vitamin A.
If you have a major life event coming up that you want to be photo ready for start planning now. Small, powerful changes to your daily routine, even adding two minutes to your nighttime or morning routine, can compound into astounding results. Good luck to you and all your habits today, tomorrow, and the next day.
Let’s get in touch and discuss how we can best serve you on your journey to caring for your best skin ever.
If you liked this blog, stay tuned for more from Corrective Skincare of Southern Nevada
Check these out in the meantime:
- Chemical Peel Treatment: The Shocking Benefits That You Might Not Know!
- Hyperpigmentation: Everything You Need to Know.